Q: Cruise control turns off randomly

First, my car had a whining noise and then the cruise control turned off and randomly is not available. My friend suggested it's the transmission fluid pump. Do you agree and will this require a Jaguar mechanic or can I use my local auto repair shop?

It is possible the problem lies in the transmission, especially if there are output speed sensor or gear monitoring faults. Before repairing the transmission, make sure to check the battery and alternator. A weak battery or alternator can cause transmission faults that can disable cruise control. However, since you have an audible noise it’s most likely the transmission. If you need help with this, consider YourMechanic and one of our certified mechanics to come inspect your cruise control issue at your home or office.

3. Cruise control turns off randomly