Skip the auto shop - Our mechanics make house calls
  1. Home
  2. Articles
  3. Disabled Driver Laws and Permits in Arkansas

Disabled Driver Laws and Permits in Arkansas

Disabled Driver Laws and Permits in Arkansas

The rules for obtaining disabled driver status differ by state. The following are some of the qualifications you must possess in the state of Arkansas to obtain disabled driver status.

How do I know if I qualify for disabled driver status?

If you must carry an oxygen tank with you at all times, or if you have limited mobility due to having lost the use of your hands and/or arm, you are eligible for a disabled driver permit and/or license plate. If you have been diagnosed with a disease that impairs mobility or you have a hearing impairment, you may also be eligible.

How can I obtain a disabled driver license and/or permit?

You must apply for a permit or a license in person at a local Arkansas DMV office.

In order to receive a permit or license plate, you need to bring the Licensed Physician’s Certification Form (Form 10-366) to a qualified health professional, and have them complete and sign the form. You can either submit the form in person at your local Arkansas DMV, using the Internet STAR system or by mail:

Department of Finance and Administration
Office of Motor Vehicle
P O Box 3153
Little Rock, AR 72203-3153

This information, including the parking permit form, is available online.

What is the cost of a disabled driver license or permit?

Permanent placards in Arkansas are free and expire two years from the final day of the month of which they are issued. Temporary placards are also free and expire three months from the last day of the month of which they are issued. License plates cost the regular fee, and the expiration is the same as the expiration on the vehicle.

Please note that plates are issued only after the Arkansas DMV reviews and approves your application, affirming that you meet the standards required to obtain disability status.

How do I renew my license and/or permit?

To renew, you have three options. One option is fill out Form 10-366 and send it to

Department of Finance and Administration
Office of Motor Vehicle
P O Box 3153
Little Rock, AR 72203-3153

Another option is to call, toll free, 1-800-941-2580.

And your third option is to use the Internet STAR system, which you can access here.

What is the proper way to display my permit?

Permits should be hanging from your rearview mirror or placed on your dashboard. Just make sure that a law enforcement officer is able to see your permit whenever he or she needs to.

How long do I have until my permit expires?

Temporary permits expire after six months, and permanent permits expire after five years. Additionally, a person certified as permanently disabled is allowed to possess one special license plate; one license plate and one permanent placard; or two permanent placards. A person certified as temporarily disabled is allowed to possess two temporary placards, and both placards must have the same expiration date. Please note that the temporary placard cannot be renewed, while the permanent placards can be renewed.

How do I obtain a disabled driver’s license for a motorcycle?

Motorcycles require a special disabled plate. These plates are available in the Special License Unit only at the following address:

Department of Finance and Administration
Special License Unit
P O Box 1272
Little Rock, AR 72203

How do I replace a disability parking permit in Arkansas?

You must complete the replacement section of the original form (Form 10-366), and then submit this form in person to the local Arkansas DMV.

Following these guidelines will help you determine whether you are eligible in Arkansas for a Disabled Driver’s license plate and permit. For more information, reference the Arkansas website for disabled drivers.

The statements expressed above are only for informational purposes and should be independently verified. Please see our terms of service for more details

Skip the repair shop, our top-rated mechanics come to you.

At your home or office

Choose from 600+ repair, maintenance & diagnostic services. Our top-rated mechanics bring all parts & tools to your location.

Fair & transparent pricing

See labor & parts costs upfront, so you can book with confidence.

12-month, 12,000-mile warranty

Our services are backed by a 12-month, 12,000-mile warranty for your peace of mind.

Get A Quote

Need Help With Your Car?

Our certified mobile mechanics make house calls in over 2,000 U.S. cities. Fast, free online quotes for your car repair.


More related articles

Insurance Requirements for Car Registration in Kentucky
The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet requires that all drivers in Kentucky carry liability automotive insurance, or “financial responsibility” in order to operate a vehicle legally and maintain vehicle...
How to Avoid Back Pain in a Car
If you have back problems, sitting in a car for an extended period of time can be excruciating. Even without back problems, you could experience discomfort and soreness from...
What are the Car Pool Rules in Hawaii?
Hawaii is widely regarded as a land of vacation and relaxation, and as such, its scenic roads and routes are far better known than the state’s freeways. But, as with all...

Related questions