Disability Driver Laws and Permits in Missouri

Even if you are not a disabled driver, it is important to familiarize yourself with the disabled driver laws in your state. Missouri, as is true of all states, has very specific guidelines for what disabled drivers.

How do I know if I am eligible for a disabled driver license plate or placard in Missouri?

If you suffer from one or more of the following conditions, you might be eligible for special parking privileges:

  • The inability to walk 50 feet without resting or requiring assistance

  • If you suffer from a lung disease that limits your ability to breathe

  • If you suffer from a neurological, arthritic, or orthopedic condition that restricts your mobility

  • If you require portable oxygen

  • If you have a cardiac condition classified as a Class III or IV by the American Heart Association

  • If you require a wheelchair, prosthetic, crutch, cane, or other assistive device

If you have one or more of these conditions, then you probably qualify for a temporary or permanent parking placard.

What is the difference between a permanent and temporary placard?

If you have a disability that is expected to last no longer than 180 days, then you will be eligible for a temporary placard. Permanent placards are for those with a disability that will last longer than 180 days or for the rest of your life. Temporary placards cost two dollars, while permanent placards are free.

How do I apply for a placard in the state of Missouri?

The first step is to fill out an Application for Disabled Person Placard (Form 2769). The second part of the application, the Physician’s Statement for Disabled Person’s Placard (Form 1776), requires that you visit a physician and have him or her verify that you suffer from a disability that limits your mobility. In order to complete this second form, you must visit a physician, physician’s assistant, optometrist, ophthalmologist, osteopath, chiropractor, or advanced nurse practitioner. After you have filled out these two forms, submit them along with the appropriate fee (two dollars if you are applying for temporary placard) and either mail them to:

Motor Vehicle Bureau
P.O. Box 598
Jefferson City, MO 65105-0598

Or deliver them in person to any Missouri license office.

How do I renew my placard and/or license plate?

To renew a permanent placard in the state of Missouri, you may present your receipt from your original application. If you do not have your receipt, you will have to fill out the original form again, along with the physician’s certification that you have a disability that impairs your mobility. To renew a temporary placard, you must reapply, meaning you must complete both the first form and the second form requiring a physician’s verification.

Please note that your permanent placard is free to renew, but that it expires on September 30th of the fourth year from which it was issued. In addition, in the state of Missouri, if you are over the age of 75 and you possess a permanent placard, you will not need a physician’s verification in order to obtain a renewal placard.

Is there a specific way that I must display my placard in my vehicle?

Yes. As is true in all states, you must display your placard on your rearview mirror. If your vehicle does not have a rearview mirror, you may place your placard on the dashboard with the expiration date facing the windshield. You need to make sure that a law enforcement officer can read the placard if he or she needs to. Also, please understand that you should never drive with the placard hanging from the rearview mirror. This is dangerous and could obstruct your vision while driving. You need only to display your placard while you are parked in a handicap parking area.

Where am I allowed and not allowed to park with my placard?

Both temporary and permanent placards allow you to park anywhere you see the International Symbol of Access. You may not park in areas marked “no parking anytime” and in loading or bus zones.

Can I lend my placard to a friend or family member, if that person has an obvious disability?

No. Your placard must remain in your possession. It is considered abuse of your parking privileges if you lend your placard to anyone. Also, please note that you do not have to be the driver of the vehicle to use the placard, but you must be in the vehicle, as a passenger, in order to gain disabled driver parking privileges.

I work for an agency that transports people with disabilities. Am I qualified to receive a placard?

Yes. In this case you will complete the same two forms that you would if you were applying for an individual placard. However, you must also provide a statement on business letterhead (signed by an officer of the agency) stating that your agency transports disabled persons.

Next Step

Schedule Oil Change

The most popular service booked by readers of this article is Oil Change. YourMechanic’s technicians bring the dealership to you by performing this job at your home or office 7-days a week between 7AM-9PM. We currently cover over 2,000 cities and have 100k+ 5-star reviews... LEARN MORE


The statements expressed above are only for informational purposes and should be independently verified. Please see our terms of service for more details

Recent Oil Change reviews

Excellent Rating


Rating Summary


33 years of experience
991 reviews
33 years of experience
Volkswagen Passat - Oil Change - Hampton, Virginia
Matt always does a great job. Very professional. I look forward to my next appointment.... A++++++
Ford Expedition - Oil Change - Hampton, Virginia
I am so please to have Matt work on my vehicle, he is very friendly and personable, and always does a great job.


22 years of experience
37 reviews
22 years of experience
Audi A3 - Oil Change - Queen Creek, Arizona
Job well done! Greg was on time and professional. He treated my vehicle with care. He completed the job smoothly and so far so good. First time using Your mechanic and it was a pleasant experience. I will be looking into them again. Thanks Greg!
Ford Explorer - Oil Change - Scottsdale, Arizona
Greg was very friendly and professional. Communication was great, he let me know what he was doing. He went above and beyond to make sure everything was running smoothly. I would 100% recommend Greg!


27 years of experience
93 reviews
27 years of experience
Buick Encore - Oil Change - Oakland, California
Another home run! Really appreciate the flexibility regarding my service appointment. Due to my work schedule I desperately needed a late appointment. So grateful my car is receiving top shelf professional service. Replaced a oil pan drain plug that was seriously damaged and stripped by a competitor that will NEVER get my business again! All services were quickly completed. Thank you so much for another great experience with my.... Your Mechanic Lavell 5 ⭐️ Service consistently.


23 years of experience
483 reviews
23 years of experience
Porsche 911 - Oil Change - Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Brian is extremely knowledgeable and very personable and has taken very good care on my 911. I would recommend Brian to any one who has mechanical car challenges. I would recommend Brian to all My friends and family

Need Help With Your Car?

Our certified mobile mechanics make house calls in over 2,000 U.S. cities. Fast, free online quotes for your car repair.


Related articles

Disabled Driver Laws and Permits in Rhode Island
In In Rhode Island, there are laws in place that allow special privileges to handicapped drivers. If you are handicapped, then you will be entitled to special placards or license plates that identify you as such, and you will be...
How to Transfer a Car Title in Missouri
The The state of Missouri requires that every vehicle have a title in the name of the owner, or owners to prove ownership. When ownership changes, the title has to be transferred from the previous owner’s name into the name...
Top 10 Scenic Drives in Missouri
There’s a reason why Missouri is called the “Show Me State,” and a part of that may be because it shows visitors plenty of scenic views. From the Ozark Mountains with lush forests, to the strong waters of the Mississippi...

Related questions

Is it illegal to have license plates as body work?

Hi Salvador, this is an interesting question. I'm not sure if it's legal or not so your best bet is to contact the Missouri DMV and see what they say.

Changed battery, battery arced, now car is stuck in park.

Hi Jeff. Thanks for contacting us today. An arching battery can cause a lot of different electrical problems. Sometimes, the shift solenoid can cause the shifting issues you're describing, while in other instances, it's a mechanical problem. I think the...

I have a 03' impala it stopped on me a week ago I was told by an8mechanic that it was thw staryer since i had to start it twice in

While I don't wish to cast stones, it doesn't sound like you have been getting very good advice. A car that doesn't start at all is usually the easiest kind of problem to diagnose. It's the cars that only fail...

How can we help?

Our service team is available 7 days a week, Monday - Friday from 6 AM to 5 PM PST, Saturday - Sunday 7 AM - 4 PM PST.

1 (855) 347-2779 · hi@yourmechanic.com