Q: Would a failing oxygen sensor cause lack of power and shifting problems?

Sometimes taking off in first gear it feels like the car is lacking power. Also when it gets into 4th gear it will run at about 3000 rpms at first then drop right down to 2000. Yes i am sure it is both 4th gear. Im wonering if this could have anything to do with the O2 sensor that is bad

A: As you may know, the oxygen sensors, which ...

As you may know, the oxygen sensors, which are part of your emission’s system, read exhaust gases to determine whether or not the appropriate amount of oxygen is present in the exhaust. Based upon this reading, this information is relayed to the car’s ECU which then makes a determination as to whether or not to add more or less fuel to the engine.

When too much or too little oxygen is present, this will cause the Check Engine Light to come on. Too much oxygen may be present in the exhaust gas due to things like an exhaust leak, a vacuum leak, a faulty mass air flow sensor (causing a lean fuel condition), or faulty fuel injectors. Too little oxygen may be present in the exhaust gas, which may be caused by things like a clogged air filter, a failing mass air flow sensor (causing too much fuel to be introduced to the motor), bad fuel injectors, or a clogged catalytic converter.

When the O2 sensor is not working properly, this will cause false readings to be relayed to the computer causing inaccurate adjustments to be made to the intake and fuel system in your engine. Any of the above conditions may cause inaccurate shifting points to be made by your car’s transmission control module. I would suggest having an expert, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your home to diagnose your emissions system and replace the oxygen sensor if needed.