Q: Won't shift up or down in manual mode.

This transmission shifts fine in automatic mode. When the lever is moved to the right into manual mode and pushed forward toward the ( + ) sign or to the rear toward the (- ) sign nothing happens. It stays in automatic mode. My scan tool indicates PO 700 transmission control system ( mil request ). What do you think? and cost? Roy

Hi there. If you have a transmission code such as this it will disable the manual shifting mode. Most of the time this code is the result of a voltage issue. If there is low voltage from a bad battery or a dirty battery connection then this will occur. I usually clean the connections and retest. If it continues then I check the connections at the transmission control module as there may be a connection issue there. At this point I would clear the code and see if it returns. If it does then the vehicle may need a new transmission control module. If you are planning on having this manual shifting problem checked, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose and repair this.

3. Won't shift up or down in manual mode.