Q: Won't shift up or down in manual mode.

asked by on October 24, 2016

This transmission shifts fine in automatic mode. When the lever is moved to the right into manual mode and pushed forward toward the ( + ) sign or to the rear toward the (- ) sign nothing happens. It stays in automatic mode. My scan tool indicates PO 700 transmission control system ( mil request ). What do you think? and cost? Roy

Hi there. If you have a transmission code such as this it will disable the manual shifting mode. Most of the time this code is the result of a voltage issue. If there is low voltage from a bad battery or a dirty battery connection then this will occur. I usually clean the connections and retest. If it continues then I check the connections at the transmission control module as there may be a connection issue there. At this point I would clear the code and see if it returns. If it does then the vehicle may need a new transmission control module. If you are planning on having this manual shifting problem checked, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose and repair this.