Q: Whining noise, fuel system issue

My car has gone 95,000 miles and it sat for about a year and a half. I've decided to drive it but when I started the car the other day, there was some whining noise that I thought was coming from the fuel tank. After opening the cap, the warm fuel started squirting out. There was obviously too much pressure. Could this be a fuel pump issue or maybe fuel filter needs changing? I also noticed occasional misfiring when I drive.

Hello. You should stop driving the car until this is addressed. You didn’t specify where fuel was squirting out, but in any case, this is a serious safety hazard. Given the age of your vehicle, and that it as been sitting for an extended period of time, many problems can occur with old fuel lines, seals, etc. I recommend having a certified professional, like one from YourMechanic, diagnose the noise and misfire to have these problems properly.

3. Whining noise, fuel system issue