Q: My car's gear won't shift. Only neutral works. I just changed the transmission fluid.

My car goes into gear but doesn't accelerate. Only goes forward in nuteral. And the meter won't go to 0 it starts at 10.

A: Hello and thank you for your question. When...

Hello and thank you for your question. When you changed your transmission fluid, you need to ask yourself what the color of the fluid was when it drained out. If the fluid was very dark or black, then when putting in the new fluid it damaged all of seals within the transmission. Also, the pump to the transmission could be damaged and no longer producing pressure. One thing to check before deciding that the transmission has failed is to check the shifter cable and make sure that it did not break or come off the transmission. If you need assistance with your transmission, then seek out a technician, such as one from YourMechanic, that can pinpoint the cause of the shifting problem and assist with further repairs.