Q: My temperature gauge is fluctuating and my car is not putting out heat anymore, I tried putting coolant in it and there are no leaks.

asked by on December 20, 2016

My car is not putting out heat, it is 19 degrees outside and the temperature gauge is going all the way to the top when I'm driving so I have to keep stopping on the side of the road to let it cool down. I am going on a 12 hour drive and it is making it very difficult

Heater is not working Inspection $94.99 - $114.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. Check the coolant temperature sensor and see if it has a loose connection on the wiring harness. This will cause the gauge to fluctuate up and down as the engine is running. For the heater not working, check the heater control valve on the heater hoses and see if its working. If the hoses are cooler on the cab side and the engine side hoses are hot, then the valve is not working and it should be replaced. If you need further assistance with your heater not working, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr