Q: Will the working motor from my 2004 Saturn Ion 2 L fit the transmission in my 2003 Saturn Ion 2 L

asked by on March 18, 2017

I have a 2003 Saturn ion 2.2 L with a blown engine it has a manual transmission. I have a 2004 Saturn Ion 2.2 L with a good motor currently with an automatic transmission. If I pulled a good engine out of the 2004 will it fit onto the manual transmission in the 2003? Are there any special circumstances that I may have to anticipate?

Hi there. We get this type of question quite a bit. In most cases, the engines themselves will fit just fine and will be compatible with the transmission. However, the issues that always occur is linking with the ECU, fuel systems and ignition system problems. Since we don’t offer this service, your best bet is to contact a local engine swap specialist to consult with them about how to resolve common compatibility issues.