Q: Will the failure of the fuel/air ratio sensor affect the starting of my wife's Toyota?

My wife's car's engine light came on recently. Took it into the dealer and they had to replace the oxygen sensor. 2 weeks later the engine light came on again. We took it to the dealer (120 miles away) and he said it was the fuel/air ratio sensor this time. They didn't have one in stock so we have to wait for one. Dealer said it would run ok until they replaced it however, this morning, (it was -9 Celcius) the car won't start. It turned over for along time but won't start. Is this a result of the sensor failing? It has started in -30 weather without being plugged easilly. Also, the battery is less than a year old. Not sure how to proceed now.

A: Hi there: The mass air flow sensor measure...

Hi there:

The mass air flow sensor measures the amount of air that comes in and relays that information to the computer. This allows the air/fuel mixture to maintain the correct ratio for optimal performance. Usually the sensor is prone to being clogged with excessive carbon build-up; which can cause hard starting issues. A mechanic will either clean or replace the mass air flow sensor after downloading any stored error codes inside the ECU during a check engine light inspection. Depending on where you live, you might be able to have one of our mobile mechanics visit you to complete the repairs needed on your wife’s vehicle. Contact our team and see if we’re able to help you out.