Q: My car is losing coolant from tailpipe

last week my car started smoking from under the radiator reservoir tank and smoke from tailpipe. my mechanic said the head gasket is blown . I put a product called k seal and it worked good for a couple of days now the smoke is coming from under reservoir but less from tailpipe the heat level gauge has been normal the whole time even when there was a lot of smoke from tailpipe the car was shaking a little before mechanic said the head gasket problem affected a piston now not shaking as much check engine light was on now is off I think it might just be a bad thermostat the cars reservoir is now full not losing fluid as fast please respond at your earliest convenience thank you sir

Hi there. According to what you’ve described, it does sound like your mechanic was correct; a blown head gasket. The radiator reservoir leak may have lead to the blown head gasket by causing a low coolant level, thus resulting in the blown head gasket from a coolant jacket to the combustion chamber. The coolant entering the combustion chamber will cause a misfire and set the Check Engine Light. With enough coolant in the combustion chamber, engine mechanical failure will occur with damaged internal components.

The radiator, head gasket, and thermostat would need to be replaced and a coolant flush service done to remove any of the K-Seal product; these products are only temporary solutions at best. If you’d like a second opinion on this issue, have one of our mobile technicians diagnose the smoke firsthand.