Q: Bad alternator? 1996 Chevy Blazer

asked by on December 19, 2016

I have a 1996 Chevy blazer and the other day something got caught on the gas pedal and it was floored for 30 seconds on the way home it started running ruff and when i flipped on the head lights it died. i was thinking alternator and if so do i have to replace the whole thing? Ive jumped it and it works fine but when i unhook the cables it just dies. help!

Electric Problems Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there - the fact that the engine won’t stay running when jumper cables are removed suggests that either the alternator has failed, or the battery has a dead cell, preventing it from conducting current. Both components can be checked by an auto parts store if you take them in. however, given you had an "event" that may have caused other damage, I would recommend a electrical system inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.