Q: Shifter won't move - stays stuck on park.What could be wrong with it? 2004 Dodge Durango

asked by on November 29, 2016

The shift stick doesn't move & stays stuck on park.I already changed the brake light switch and still have the problem. The only way to use it. Is to disconnect the battery & put it on neutral. Then connect the battery back.

Car is hard to shift Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hi - having changed the brake light switch (most common source of this problem) and confirmed that brake lights are now working (if not, check brake light wiring - switch does more than brake lights), the shift interlock solenoid is the next suspect component. It mechanically block the shift linkage if it does not function properly. I would recommend a shifter inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr