Q: Shifter won't move - stays stuck on park.What could be wrong with it? 2004 Dodge Durango

asked by on November 29, 2016

The shift stick doesn't move & stays stuck on park.I already changed the brake light switch and still have the problem. The only way to use it. Is to disconnect the battery & put it on neutral. Then connect the battery back.

Hi - having changed the brake light switch (most common source of this problem) and confirmed that brake lights are now working (if not, check brake light wiring - switch does more than brake lights), the shift interlock solenoid is the next suspect component. It mechanically block the shift linkage if it does not function properly. I would recommend a shifter inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.