Q: will a water pump fail without the temperature light showing?

will a water pump fail without the temperature light showing or a rise in engine temperature? A mechanic has told me that I need a new water pump but I have had none of the symptoms, no temperature rise, no coolant level light, no leaks on the ground or under the hood.

Well to start, what were you in to see the mechanic for? What issues is replacing the pump going to resolve? A vehicle 14 years old is definitely more likely to need a water pump replacement. Yes you can have a bad pump, or partially failing pump that can sneak pass until it completely fails. The pump can have poor circulation of the coolant and cause issues with the cooling system. The cooling system relies on the pump to move the coolant so the temperature exchange can take place. The light will not trigger until certain levels are reached, and without a leak, the levels wont change. The temperature may have stayed just under what it would have needed to trigger the light. You will want to ask how the technician knows the pump has failed.