Q: MDS solenoid #4 fault P3435 - questioning dealership quote

After several hours in diagnosis, dealership quote is ~$560 for cylinder four solenoid and harness replacement. Will replace other 3 solenoids for total of $907. 1. Is this quote reasonable or high?

Three local repair shops said they do not perform this, waiting for a quote from a fourth. The only thing my lifetime extended warranty covered was the harness.

1. Would this quote include harness replacement for other three as well?

2. I realize that since this is MDS it affects my gas mileage but is this really an optional fix?

3. Would a local shop have ability to permanently or temporarily disable MDS?

Hi Wilson. Let me try to answer your questions one at a time.

1) The quote for completing this service that you’ve listed is about average for dealerships. Generally, this is a dealer only repair.

2) You’ll have to contact the dealership to have them verify what is included in their services - we can’t answer that for you unfortunately.

3) Not really. The MDS not only impacts fuel efficiency but also emissions and vehicle performance. Not repairing this can result in a failed emissions test as well.

4) No - a local shop would likely not take on the responsibility of disabling this system.

You should contact the dealership to ask them about specifics about their estimate.

3. MDS solenoid #4 fault P3435 - questioning dealership quote