Q: will a temperture switch cause an engine not to start?

I replaced the icm in the distributor, it started then once it heated up it shut down. would not start till the next morning, the same thing it heated up it shut down. I pulled the code 15, I was told to unplug the temp switch and it should still run? will the temp switch cause it not to start at all? Or could it be the map sensor, or fuel position sensor? I am going to try the temp switch first.

A: If the computer set code 15, I would replac...

If the computer set code 15, I would replace the coolant temperature sensor. Check the connector for it as well. If it is corroded or damaged, solder in a new connector. This sensor can cause the engine not to start. Unplugging it will work if the sensor itself is bad, but if the connector is bad, it will not have any effect. Sometimes coolant seeps through the sensor, into the connector. This causes an electrical resistance that will change the reading that the computer detects.

If the engine still stalls after this repair, unplug one sensor at a time and see if it starts. Do this for the MAP, and TPS. If that doesn't work, it could be the pick-up coil in the distributor, or the ignition coil. The pick-up coil will cause no spark, and no injector pulse. A faulty ignition coil will cause no spark.

I'd suggest getting your car inspected by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, who can diagnose your starting issue and help you fix it accordingly. Good luck.