Q: Is it normal to hear the gears as you shift?

asked by on March 29, 2017

I am just curious to know if hearing the gears as you shift normal? I can hear it when my windows are down. It's not a grind or a clug sound it just sounds like a gear shifting into another gear. I just want to be on the safe side. Also I was told prior to buying truck that shift linkage was replaced I don't know if that has anything to contribute to my question at all.

Hi There, This is somewhat normal to an extent to hear a slight whining of gears, especially in a vehicle with a manual transmission where the exchange of gears is dependent upon the driver. In some cases, however this may suggest other possible problems such as low transmission fluid or gear oil, a worn out clutch, a bad throw out bearing or possibly a bad input shaft bearing. If you suspect that the whining may be more than normal, I would recommend having a qualified mechanic from YourMechanic come to your location to take a look at your truck.