Q: Starts but will not stay running unless you pour gas directly into the engine

im not sure the milage i am fixing a car before i buy it and it starts but only stays on if you pour gas into the carb and if you put it in gear it shuts off if you tap the gas with out pouring gas into the carb it shuts off it sats for four years with out any gas all fluids are good beside coolent tank has old water but no mold it starts first turn after sitting for four years but idles a bit high then calms down and sputters a bit then it will stay on as long as you are pouring gas into it is there anything i can do to fix this beautiful car it has alot of work done so they say but it looks fairly stock

It sounds like you may have a fuel supply problem in getting the proper amount of fuel to the fuel injectors. As you know, when you turn the key to on, the fuel pump is activated and the fuel system is primed with fuel at a specific pressure in order to supply the fuel injectors with enough fuel to start the motor. When this is less than what is needed in order for the motor to fire or in some cases higher than normal, you may notice an erratic fluctuation in engine RPMs, hard starting or a lack of power when accelerating as the engine may be starved for fuel if insufficient fuel pressure exists in the fuel system. This can happen when the pump itself is not working properly or when the fuel pressure regulator is not maintaining the proper fuel pressure in the fuel system causing the engine to starve for fuel. This can also happen when there is insufficient connectivity to the fuel injectors which can cause an intermittent fuel spray pattern into the intake system resulting in a lean fuel condition or the motor otherwise starving for fuel. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose your fuel system.

3. Starts but will not stay running unless you pour gas directly into the engine