Q: Why won’t my door lock right?

I have a 2008 Chevrolet Silverado. The door lock on the passenger side has stopped working completely. It doesn’t lock with the remote, the button on the door, or when the truck is at speed. The truck only has 55,000 miles on it and has not been worked too hard at any point. I am worried that the driver’s side lock will stop working as well now. This seems like a serious issue, how can I fix this and prevent it from breaking again?

A: The door lock issues you are having are a v...

The door lock issues you are having are a very common occurrence for over ten years now for most manufactures. Chevrolet has been using this style of door lock actuators for around ten years and has had issues with them since the start. The actuators use internal plastic gears and small electric motors that are susceptible to moisture entry and have high failure rates. The actuators are not repairable and the only fix is to replace the door lock actuators with new ones. You can have them replaced by YourMechanic. There have been no recalls for the door locks, but this should not stop owners from filing complaints to the National Highway Safety Administration. If enough complaints are sent in then a recall or fix may happen. Keep any receipts for reimbursements if a recall is ever issued.