Q: Code P0340

asked by on November 02, 2016

Hello. I was driving my 06 sonata and then it would not let me accelerate and would no longer drive. I turned it off and back on the it worked. The error code said it was a camshaft sensor so I replaced it and the check engine light was gone. I drove it the next morning and once I hit 70mph the check engine light came back on. What else could it be?

Camshaft Position Sensor Replacement $104.59 - $849.08 Get a Quote

The P0340 problem code references a camshaft position sensor malfunction. The ability to restart the engine suggests it is failing versus has failed. There was an issue with this engine with the cam chain tensioner - which also affects cam timing, and could set a P0340. The Technical Service Bulletin is # 219296, and involves replacing the tensioner. I would consult your Hyundai Service Manager to discuss whether this tensioner replacement has been done on your car, and the possible impact of that problem component.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr