Q: Trunk latch not catching

The trunk won't latch closed. I popped open the trunk and it would not close all of the way. I even put a little WD-40 on the latch mechanism, in case it was stuck, but it is still not catching to lock it closed.

Hello, since the hatch won’t latch closed, take a look inside the latch and see that it didn’t latch close on it’s own. If you can see that the tongue has rotated and you can see the circle in the center and not a U shape, insert a screwdriver through the center of the circle. With the screw driver installed push the release buttons and pull gently down and unlatch the latch. If you see the U shape in the latch, the latch could be broken or out of adjustment. I would recommend having a mechanic inspect your trunk latch mechanism since the hatch not latching leaves your car unprotected and can let exhaust fumes into the passenger compartment.

3. Trunk latch not catching