Q: Why does my engine start up but then slowly turn off?

I was recently in an accident on my front passenger sid. The hood got bent up a little bit and the headlight is completely smashed. When i try to start the car now the engine either goes off when i put my foot on the petal or it slowly fades off. What wrong with it.

Hi there. Most vehicle accidents cause more than just cosmetic damage, especially when the front end is involved. In your case, without being there to physically inspect your vehicle, it’s very difficult to give you a precise cause of the symptoms you’re describing. However, the issue’s you’ve mentioned are commonly caused by either an electronic sensor issue or fuel delivery issue to the engine.

As a good rule of thumb, anytime you’ve experience a car accident, it’s a good idea to have the vehicle inspected as most accidents will cause damage to electrical systems and sensors that control the function of several of your Lexus’ mechanical components. A certified technician from YourMechanic can diagnose the starting issue and help guide you towards the correct repairs.