Q: Why do I have to replace my brakes every year or every other year?

I only drive 6,500 - 8,500 miles a year short distances, occasionally a long trip. Every year I seem to need the front or rear brakes and/or rotars. Why is this and what can I do to keep the brakes longer? I am not a quick stopper or lead foot. I have never had a car that needed brakes this often. Could the shop be installing low end brakes or does this not matter? I heard the calipers could be sticking to help cause break wear, but how would I know. Appreciate any suggestions. Ke

3. Why do I have to replace my brakes every year or every other year?