Q: WHEN SHOULD STRUTS BE REPLACED

asked by on November 18, 2016

I'm hearing a rattling type noise from the front passenger side of me car. I took it in to a local mechanic to see what the issue was and I was quoted front struts, front sway bar links, front lower control arms with ball joints. The car is only 3 years old. How can it possibly need so much work

Hi there:

Front end suspension components are impacted more than any other mechanical part in regards to driving conditions. If a vehicle is subject to frequent off road use, road damage or frequent curb strikes, the front end parts like struts, ball joints and other parts can wear out sooner than they should. The typical life expectancy of the parts you listed is at least 50,000 miles. Due to this, it’s probably a good idea to have a professional mechanic complete a vehicle is shaking or vibrating inspection; so they can determine if the quote you received is accurate or not.