Q: When replacing the harmonic balancer do I need to or is it recommended to replace the crankshaft seal or anything else with it

My cars harmonic balancer came in twodriving down the road the other day. I am buying all of the parts i need to get this job done but someone told me that I will have to change the crankshaft seal also. Is this true? Also is there anything else I should worry about or look into?

Hi there:

In short, yes; when you replace the harmonic balancer you should always replace the crankshaft seal and timing cover gaskets as well. This will help reduce the potential of leaking oil after the service has been completed. I’d recommend purchasing the service manual for the 2003 Dodge Stratus; so that you follow the manufacturers recommended steps for replacing a harmonic balancer.

3. When replacing the harmonic balancer do I need to or is it recommended to replace the crankshaft seal or anything else with it