when my car is stopped or going slow i can hear a helicop...

Q: when my car is stopped or going slow i can hear a helicopter noise. it sounds like it’s coming from the front end of my car.

asked by on October 22, 2017

i’m not sure what’s going on. people also told me they come hear it from the back seat

If you are hearing the noise at idle when the car is not moving, generally the noise you are describing originates in the engine, the transmission (torque converter runs even at idle), and/or the accessory drives. If the sound occurs when the car is stationary, if the sound is not really obvious (pinpointed) on the mechanic’s initial inspection, a quick diagnostic can be performed by simply taking all of the belt driven accessories out of the picture by disconnecting the drive belts and then very briefly running the engine. If the sound disappears, the faulty component is then isolated amongst the accessories and pulleys. If the sounds does not disappear, that means the noise originates within the engine and/or transmission. If you want these steps performed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request a vehicle noise diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.