Q: My 2015 Tahoe rides really, really rough. Any reason you think it rides rough?

asked by on June 05, 2017

Tahoe rides very rough

Ball Joint Front Replacement $113.81 - $830.19 Get a Quote

Hello, There are a number of things that may cause the vehicle to ride rough such as worn out suspension components or suspension components that are improperly adjusted, worn control arm bushings or worn out ball joints. A ball joint is designed to pivot through multiple planes. Of course, because the ball joint constantly pivots at different angles, it tends to wear out more rapidly than bushings. A load-bearing ball joint supports the weight of the vehicle, while providing a hinge point for the steering system. Load-bearing ball joints are designed to cancel the effects of normal wear by centering themselves in their sockets. Non-load-bearing ball joints, on the other hand, maintain precise dimensional tolerances in a steering or suspension system. Wear in a non-load-bearing ball joint will cause a noticeable change in the camber, caster or toe angle of a front suspension. Consequently, non-load-bearing joints are preloaded to compensate for wear. Common symptoms of worn out ball joints are clunking noises, excessive vibration, steering wander and squeaking.

Control arm bushings are an important part of vehicle suspension systems. Bushings are made of rubber which separates the faces of two objects while allowing a certain amount of movement. As a car moves over tough or bumpy surfaces, this movement allows the suspension parts to move easily. The rubber which is flexible in nature helps to minimize transmission of noise and small vibrations through to the chassis of the vehicle. Bushings are pressed into the control arms at each end of the device to secure the connection to the chassis. The control arm is the device that connects suspension system to the chassis of the vehicle. Control arm bushing is used to hold the bolt in place that connects the control arm to the chassis. They are located at the broad end of the control arm to which the part pivots. These can be replaced separately from the control arms. I would suggest having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to take a look at your vehicle.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr