Q: When its cold my car door won't shut

I live in NW Pennsylvania and when it's cold even moderately cold my doors (usually my drivers side but sometimes my passenger side) just bounce back open and won't relatch until I thaw them out. Usually via a hairdryer and one time when I didn't have my dryer I used hot water which was probably counterintuitive but it was all I had. Just wondering if there was a permanent fix or a way of preventing such an issue. PS it's NOT the lock being frozen it's definitely the little latchy thing not sure the technical term for it. So please help

Hello. From what you describe it would appear that your door latch mechanism may be getting stuck, perhaps due to the cold weather. You may be able to apply some sort of lubricant to the mechanism that may remedy the issue. A water resistant aerosol lubricant may help free up any components that may be sticking due to the cold weather. If that does not work then it may be possible that the door latch is worn and no longer functioning properly, though this is less likely if the problems only occur in cold weather. If you are uncertain, I would recommend having a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to diagnose what may be causing your issue, and if the door latches need to be replaced.