Q: When I start the Jeep I hear a clicking noise once I turn the ignition , it wouldn't start til I pushed the accelerator

asked by on December 31, 2016

My Jeep wouldn't start up right away I heard a clicking noise when I turned the ignition I had to step on the accelerator then it started, within the last couple of days I could hear a clicking sound when I tried to start it

Battery Replacement $200.97 - $319.07 Get a Quote
Starter Replacement $154.22 - $1142.70 Get a Quote

Hi There, It sounds like you may have a weak battery or potentially a faulty starter solenoid. Generally, pressing the accelerator makes no difference on today’s modern vehicles due to the throttle by wire technology cars are equipped with. The clicking noise you hear may be related to a weak battery that is simply too weak to turn the engine over. when this happens, the battery will direct the power it does have to the starter which engages the flywheel when you turn the key trying to turn the motor over. When there is not enough power to make this happen, it may produce a clicking sound as you describe.

The starter solenoid is located on the starter and has internal electrical contacts that transmit electricity to the starter. As electricity is supplied to the starter a small gear comes out and engages the flywheel to spin the engine over as you turn the key. When this fails, it may cause a clicking sound and will not allow the starter to engage the flywheel when you turn the key. I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your home to diagnose your starter.