Q: When I have the clutch in and turn steering wheel there is a noise.

asked by on November 08, 2016

With clutch pedal in and turning steering wheel there is a noise. I can only describe it as kinda loud high pitched humming noise. It doesn't happen every time but seems to be getting more frequent. I have lost my power steering twice in the last 3 months then it come back after I have driven it for several miles. Power steering fluid level is fine each time. Is it time to replace the belt and tensioner?

Hi and thanks for contacting YourMechanic. Check to see if the belt and tensioner is working and the belt has no cracks. If there are cracks in the belt, then replace the belt. If the belt seems to be loose when pulling on it, then replace the tensioner. For the sound as you turn, this is the power steering pump making a hum noise as the pump has a drag on it. If the tensioner and belt are good, then check the steering system for any blockage. To do this, at a parked location, turn the wheel from left to right and back to left several times and see if the pump makes a louder noise. If the pump still makes noise, then you will need to flush out the power steering fluid and fill it up again. If you need further assistance with your car, then seek out a professional, such as one from YourMechanic, to help you with diagnosing the humming noise when turning.