Q: Wheel barrels replaced multiple times

I've had a wheel barrels replaced on the same wheel three times in the past two years. The tech uses argon. Is that a no-no?

You can bet that’s a no-no. Wheel bearings are both hidden by the big log and they have to be put down with a torque wrench for the perfect setting, because, if they are too loose they will wobble or come apart.

But, even worse, if they are too tight, when you tighten them up, the bearings have too much load on them and they will wear off. That’s exactly what happened.

Go to a different mechanic. One who knows what they’re doing. That guy isn’t doing it right. It’s one of the few things you really need to use the torque wrench on to get it perfect or the wheel bearings are going to wear out really fast. A technician from YourMechanic will have the right tools to properly replace your wheel bearings if you still need help.