Q: What would cause an engine oil pan gasket to go out at 120,000 miles on a 2008 H2 Hummer?

I am being told my engine oil pan gasket needs replacing with only 125,000 miles

A: Hi. The best way to explain why an oil pan ...

Hi. The best way to explain why an oil pan gasket would start leaking is due to heat from running the engine which causes expansion and the engine cooling when not running which equals shrinkage. Over time, things just wear out. There is a possibility that the oil pan just needs to be tightened. Check all oil pan bolt and make sure they are not loose. Keep in mind that this does not always fix the leak. The truly best thing to do is if it is leaking, is replace it with a new gasket. If you are looking to have this done, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your location to perform this service at your convenience.