Q: what transmissions are interchangeable with my 1997 dodge ram 1500 4x4 v8 5.2

my transmission is out and i wanna know which transmissions are interchangeable with my truck. its a 4x4

The transmission from the 1996 model year of your truck will interchange IF the Tag IDs are identical. No other model years will work, only 1996-1997. If you are looking for a transmission, simply go to Car-Part.com and you will find an exact match for your car (there are many listed). It is not recommended to install a used transmission from a junkyard (or anywhere for that matter) without thoroughly and carefully rebuilding it. Transmissions are not difficult to rebuild and you can rebuild yours, thus guaranteeing compatibility with your existing vehicle. Transmission swaps on modern computer controlled vehicles must be exact matches because if you attempt to use a transmission that is not cataloged as a direct cross reference, you will find that the engine and transmission computers are not interchangeable. Consequently, even if you can get a "different" transmission to physically fit, it will not operate properly and the PCM will spit out error codes. If you are interested in a transmission replacement (OEM to OEM), YourMechanic professionals in certain locales can assist with that. Please simply inquire based on your locale. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic.

3. what transmissions are interchangeable with my 1997 dodge ram 1500 4x4 v8 5.2