Q: What should I know about trailers and towing equipment?

What should I know about trailers and towing equipment?

While your Accord is a passenger vehicle primarily, it can tow a light load. However, you need to ensure that things are done right and that the correct towing equipment and accessories are installed. Here’s what you need to know:

• The Hitch: Your car does not come with a trailer hitch. You’ll need to have one professionally installed, bolted to the car’s frame.

• Chains: Safety chains should be used at all times to connect the trailer to the hitch (don’t just rely on the ball and tongue latch).

• Brakes: If your trailer has brakes, they must be electronic. Don’t attempt to connect them to your car’s hydraulic system. This will dramatically reduce stopping power for your car and compromise your safety.

• Lights: Make sure your trailer has all the required lights – brake and taillights, as well as turn signals. They should operate in sync with your car’s lights (via a wiring harness).

• Blind Spot Mirrors: It’s recommended that you install blind spot mirrors on your car if you’ll be towing a trailer so you can clearly see beside and behind you.

3. What should I know about trailers and towing equipment?