Q: I just got a new transmission put in my car and it drives and reverse but won't go up hill.

asked by on November 09, 2016

My car broke down on me at Walmart when I crank it the car came on just fine but when I put it in reverse or drive it would sound like it's in neutral so I bought a transmission and got it put in now that the transmission in there the car goes in drive and reverse just fine but when I tried going forward up the hill it wouldn't go but it would go in reverse up hill. Someone told me I need a transmission strainer(filter) but will it really fix my problem or do I need another part please help me going to get my part as we speak. Thanks!

This may be a sign of a faulty transmission control solenoid. As you know, automatic transmissions use pressurized hydraulic fluid to change gears. Every time a gear change is required, the car’s computer activates a transmission solenoid, which directs transmission fluid into the valve body to engage the correct gear. When this is faulty or not working properly, this can cause a delay in gear shifting or in some cases cause the car to not shift at all. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to take the car for a test drive to more specifically determine the cause for this.