Q: Control Arms or CV Axle?

Car was diagnosed by 1 service center as needing CV Axles and by another as NOT needing CV Axles but control arms.

Car is shaking when driven. Feels like the wheel is loose. At certain speeds the car will stop shaking an ride smoothly. Car shakes when applying gas at times and when applying the brakes at times. More so when applying gas. Smells like something is "overheating" under the wheel hub lately after driving.

Mechanic that suggested control arms stated that I would require 2 on the Front. Left lower and Right lower.

Repair required but not 100% certain of issue.

Typically when a CV axle has failed, it will cause a clicking sound either when the vehicle is accelerating or when the vehicle is being turned depending on which joint of the CV axle has failed. A failed CV axle will not usually cause any symptoms during braking. In addition, BMW vehicles have a common problem of bad control arm bushings that can cause the symptoms you described. When the vehicle is accelerating and braking the front wheels will literally bounce back and forth. This issue is normally worse during braking and it can feel as if the entire front end is about to fall off. I would recommend having your control arms looked at by a third mechanic to confirm this diagnosis. Consider YourMechanic for this inspection as it can be performed at your home or office.

3. Control Arms or CV Axle?