Q: Ticking noise coming from engine - 2006 BMW 525xi

I’ve heard a ticking noise in my engine the past few weeks while driving to and from work. I looked this up on the Internet and thought replacing the camshaft sensor might solve the problem. I did this last weekend, and it didn’t help. I still hear the ticking noise. Do you have any ideas or suggestions?

The source of the noise must be determined first. The ticking noise may be caused by air in the lifters, this is a common complaint and BMW has a TSB out to address this concern. There is a bleeding procedure to purge any trapped air in the valve lifters. Warm the engine to operating temperature. While in park, hold the throttle to 2000-3000 RPM for 3 minutes then let idle for 15-30 seconds to see if noise disappears. Can be repeated up to 4 more times with a final time of holding RPM’s 2000-3000 for 15 minutes. If this does not clear up the lifter ticking noise the lifters may need to be replaced. However, this is just one scenario, the source of the noise needs to be determined first. You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who has the tools and expertise to locate the source of the engine ticking noise and then correct the issue.