Q: What should I do to inspect my tires?

What should I do to inspect my tires?

Proper tire maintenance is an essential consideration for all drivers. If you don’t take care of your tires, they can blow out and leave you stranded. One of the most basic maintenance steps is conducting a periodic inspection of your tires. Here’s what you need to look for:

• Check for anything in the tire tread, including nails, glass and other debris.
  • Check the sidewalls for bulges, cracks, cuts and gouges.
  • Check the tread for uneven wear (center wear, edge wear, scalloping, etc.).
  • Check the valve stem for cuts or damage that might cause a leak.

Tips

• If your tire tread is below 2 mm, you need to have the tires replaced.
  • If you notice significant cracking in the sidewall, consider replacing the tire(s).
  • If the wear bars are showing in the tread, replace your tires soon.
  • If you notice excessive edge wear, have the tires replaced if necessary.

3. What should I do to inspect my tires?