Q: check engine light with oil leak

asked by on November 22, 2017

I was going about 65 MPH on my way home from school and I was de-accelerating because I was coming up to a stop sign. As I slowly let go of the gas, the car kind of lunged and caused the check engine light to come on. I checked under my car and I didn't see oil leaking profusely, but I did see some oil on a pulley (I think it was the crankshaft pulley.) I'm not expert, but I don't think i'm suppose to have oil on my CrankShaft pulley. Is it probably a head gasket issue, or something else? As for the code, I can't get a reader to it yet as I don't have one, and happened at 8pm on Wednesday before Thanksgiving. Any information would be highly appreciated.

Hi John. Thanks for contacting us today. Oil in front of the motor, near the crankshaft pulley, is often from the front crankshaft seal. Although this is not normal, it is common with an engine 20 years old. I’m not sure that would be the source of your check engine light though. This light is triggered when a sensor sends a signal to the ECU and detects an electrical or mechanical fault with a component or operating system. I think the best way to resolve this issue would be to have a professional mechanic complete a check engine light inspection for you. While they are there, they can also look at that front oil leak and provide you with a recommendation for repair.