Q: When and how should you check the air pressure in the tires?

When and how should you check the air pressure in the tires?

A: Maintaining the right air pressure in your ...

Maintaining the right air pressure in your car’s tires is vital. Your tires can lose 50% of their pressure without appearing flat, but they will wear poorly. Low tire pressure creates excessive wear on the edges of your tires, and they’re more susceptible to blowouts from heat.

You should visually inspect your tires daily, before getting on the road. Check your tire pressure at least once per month. Ford recommends carrying an accurate tire pressure gauge in your car for this specific purpose. Always make sure that the tires are inflated according to the PSI rating on the driver side door placard, not the PSI rating on the sidewall of the tire.

• Always check your tires when they’re cold – before you’ve driven anywhere.

• If you have to drive before you can check your tire pressure, try to let them cool before checking.