Q: Low gas mileage

asked by on August 19, 2016

My car has a very low gas mileage, in spite of my being very easy when applying the gas pedal and brakes. I mostly drive the car in the city but I expected to get more than this. I'm currently getting 11-13 MPG. The dealer said that if there is no warning lights on the dash, then everything is fine and nothing can be done. Is this normal? Can I do something to improve fuel economy?

Real world mileage numbers very rarely stack up to those advertised by the manufacturer, but 13 MPG does seem very low. There are several things you can do to improve your mileage. First, make sure your tires are properly inflated at all times. Keep up on the manufacturer’s scheduled outlined in your owner’s manual. Look into low resistance tires for improved fuel economy. Finally, adjust your driving habits. When it comes time for your scheduled maintenance or if you’d like a second opinion on your low gas mileage, I suggest you give the professionals at YourMechanic a call.