Q: What do I do if the Check Fuel Cap message appears?

What do I do if the Check Fuel Cap message appears?

Your car is equipped with a pretty sophisticated evap/emissions system that monitors the level of pressure in the gas tank. This is done to detect possible leaks, including a loose gas cap. If you’ve left the cap loose (or off), the Check Fuel Cap message will show up on your dash. To handle the situation, follow these steps:

1. Turn off the engine.

2. Open the fuel door.

3. Double check the gas cap and tighten if necessary.

4. Crank the car and drive normally.

5. The light should go off within a few days. If it doesn’t, the code will need to be checked.

Tips

If the light doesn’t go off, it could mean there is a leak in your system, or the cap is bad.

3. What do I do if the Check Fuel Cap message appears?