Q: What precautions should you take with the air bags?

What precautions should you take with the air bags?

Air bags provide substantial safety benefits, but they’re not without their own risks. They inflate very quickly, and they can cause injury if you’re sitting too close or not sitting properly in the seat. Here’s what you should know about safety regarding the air bags in your car, particularly the passenger side air bags:

• Move the seat back from the air bag, but not so far that you’re unable to reach the pedals or the steering wheel.

• Passengers in the front should move their seat as far back from the dash as possible while still providing enough room for anyone behind them.

• Sit straight and don’t slouch to one side in the seat.

• Sit as far back in the seat as you can.

• Don’t keep the seat completely upright – recline it slightly. However, don’t lean too far backward, as this can allow you to slide out from under the seat belt.

• Never place anything over the air bag covers.

• Never attempt to remove the air bag covers or modify the system.

3. What precautions should you take with the air bags?