Q: What needs to be done to a vehicle with fuel injectors that hasn't been started in three years?

.

A: Hello. If the vehicle has been sitting for ...

Hello. If the vehicle has been sitting for three years with the same fuel in it and hasn’t been started, then you may have some fuel system problems. Over time, the fuel changes and will start to solidify and turn into more of a varnish. That varnish type material can cause some serious damage to the fuel pump and fuel injectors and can even get bad enough to clog the fuel lines. I typically start by removing the fuel tank, cleaning it out and adding new fuel. I then disconnect all of the fuel lines and the fuel rail where the injectors are. Next, I use a pressurized fuel system cleaner to clean out as much of the system as possible. Once I get everything cleaned out, I start the vehicle. At that time it can be determined if any of the fuel system parts have failed. If you need further assistance, I recommend you have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, inspect for possible starting problems on your vehicle and suggest an appropriate repair.