Q: What is the thumping noise when I accelerate and turn?

asked by on December 01, 2017

When I accelerate and turn my car makes a thumping/popping noise. It only happens when the car is in first and slightly second gear but it stops when I get above 30 mph. When it thump/pops I feel a movement in the gas pedal every pop. Any idea what it could be? I need to know asap because I have a kid on the way and need to get everything fixed as quick as I can.

Axle / CV Shaft Assembly Replacement $197.63 - $1017.38 Get a Quote

What you are describing sounds like a failing CV joint. A CV (Constant Velocity) joint is a shaft that connects the transmission to the wheels, essentially transferring the power from the drive train directly to the wheels. The CV joint is packed with a special grease and sealed tight with the rubber or plastic boot, that is held in place with two clamps. The most common problem with the CV joints is when the protective boot cracks or gets damaged. Once this happens, the grease comes out and moisture and dirt get in, causing the CV joint to wear faster and eventually fail due to lack of lubrication and corrosion. When the CV joint becomes damaged or worn, you may hear a clicking, clunking or popping sound coming from this area as the weight of the vehicle puts pressure on this area and shifts back and forth and side to side. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.