Q: Engine shimming problem

Engine head shims get mix up

Hi. When the engine shims or shakes there could be multiple things causing this problem. The most common cause is the spark plugs and spark wires are bad and causing the car to misfire. A misfiring engine will cause the engine to shim or shake.

Another common cause is that the engine mounts are broken or very worn out causing the engine to shake or shim. The engine mounts are what hold the engine tightly in the car and they break or become worn out it could very well cause your problem.

Some other possibilities are bad engine sensors such as the throttle position sensor, idle air control valve, mass air flow sensor, and crank or camshaft sensor could also cause this. If any of those sensors were bad the Check Engine Light should come on.

To avoid any unnecessary repairs, I suggest you have a certified technician from YourMechanic come and diagnosis your engine for the shim problem it has.

3. Engine shimming problem