Q: What is the right way to install the rear main seal?

asked by on February 04, 2018

I'm replacing the rear main seal. I've bought the fel pro BS 40620 which came with no instructions. Throughout my research I've found mixed answers as to how it should be installed. My questions are: Does it go on dry or greased and does it go on the same way the OEM was on or backwards? Thank you!

Hi Justin. Thanks for contacting us today. If you are replacing the rear seal, you really should purchase a service and repair manual for your Ford F-150, as following each step in the right order is crucial to ensure a proper seal and reduce the potential of leaks. Unfortunately, since we can’t attach any documents or images to this platform, your best bet is to download a service manual online.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr