Q: What is the proper procedure for parking?

What is the proper procedure for parking?

Parking your car isn’t the most complicated thing in the world, but you do have to make sure you’re doing it right. Here’s what you should know:

1. Make sure the car is completely stopped.

2. Press the brake pedal.

3. Engage the parking brake and make sure the Brake light on the dash comes on.

4. Shift the transmission into park (if you’re driving a stick, put it in first gear if you’re parking facing uphill or reverse if you’re facing downhill).

5. Cut off the engine.

Tips

• Don’t put the car in park before it has come to a complete stop.

• Don’t park your car with the gearshift in neutral (even if you drive a stick shift).

• Avoid parking over flammable items like grass, paper or debris on the road. The exhaust system gets very hot and can set these on fire.

3. What is the proper procedure for parking?