Q: What does it mean if the message center says “oil change required”?

asked by on December 15, 2015

What does it mean if the message center says “oil change required”?

It’s vital that you keep your engine oil changed. If the oil is allowed to go beyond the end of its life, it loses its ability to lubricate (called viscosity), and it builds up debris and can cause damage to your engine. Your car is designed with an oil change reminder system. It measures the remaining oil life by mileage and warns you when it gets close to time to change it. However, if you go beyond the end of oil’s life, you’ll see a different warning, one that reads “Oil change required”. Once the oil life reaches 0%, this message is displayed and you should have your oil changed as soon as possible. Make sure to reset the oil life after having it changed (this will turn off the message).