Q: Startup problems, occasional stalling

Hi. My car has problems starting up. The mileage is close to 65,000 miles. It happens in all weather conditions and very randomly. It sometimes starts up and immediately turns off. On other occasions, I have to keep the foot on the gas pedal and press it as soon as it cranks so that it wouldn't stall. Although it didn't happen lately, it did stall on the traffic light a few times. What could be the cause of the difficult startup? Thanks.

Hello. It sounds like the mass airflow sensor may have failed, causing the problems you are having starting your car and idling. The mass airflow sensor helps regulate the air/fuel mixture the engine receives. When it is not working properly, it does not allow the right air/fuel mixture into the engine. This may make it difficult to start the car and may cause a rough idling condition. I would recommend that you have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, come and inspect your vehicle’s starting issues. YourMechanic mechanics are mobile and can provide this inspection at your home or office.

3. Startup problems, occasional stalling